Tuesday 21 December 2010

Stretton Club Run - 21/12/2010

I almost didn't go over to Church Stretton tonight when I saw the forecast for heavy snow starting at 6pm over there, but I'm glad I ignored it - we had a great run about tonight on fresh powder snow.

We went up through the Rectory Field and then up onto Ashlet. The traverse over to Yearlet was good, but the path on up to Boiling Well I found it hard to get into a rhythm because of the snow. The run over to Haddon Hill was fine, and I managed not to fall over in the col between the two tops tonight!

The descent from Haddon Hill to the golf course fence was sublime on fresh powder, slip sliding and galloping down. We came down the wider of the two ridges from here, which was slippery with some ice under the powder, but the view of Cardingmill Valley was amazing: we stopped twice to turn torches off and just gawp. This is why I run on the fells - you just get to amazing places at times and in conditions you would never experience otherwise...

A quick dash across the Burway and down through the Rectory Wood finished the run off nicely.

Happy Christmas everyone!!

6.2 miles and 1,160' in about 1:27.

PS: This was probably the last serious run for my over-worn Kanadia TR2s - the TR3s arrived today and I'll use them once I've had chance to check out the fit around the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment